Thursday, July 5, 2012

KURA PAROKO


OK.  Now I have time. 

And the energy within me wants to post something on this blog!
Thank you, Lord, for this time!  Holy Spirit, please lead me. 
Effective Easter Monday of this year (April 9, 2012), I became the Parish Priest of a parish in a place called Atsugi.  At the same time, I am also Parish Priest of another place 30 kms. away, called Tsukui.  Atsugi has a wide territory as a parish.  It has Atsugi City, Isehara City, Ayase City, Ebina City and their surroundings, as far as the town called Aikawa.  Yes, it’s like having the whole Metro Manila as one parish... but there are actually only like 1, 200 in the list of parishioners, minus the hundreds of non-Japanese (especially the Filipinos, South Americans, Vietnamese).  Tsukui is a small parish -- with around 200 in the list.  Mass attendance?  Atsugi has around 450 for the 3 masses in the weekend, Tsukui has around 50.  
This is the first time I assume a Parish.  The bishop already hinted about this as early as September last year, when, in front of me, he was telling a priest from Tokyo (whom I personally know) that it was about time I become “independent”.  Then, he personally told me to “Get ready!” during our spiritual retreat in October.   I was finally told where I would go in the last week of February.  And, honestly, it was quite a surprise that I was assigned to this big parish!
When the bishop finally announced the new assignments during our monthly Clergy Meeting in the last Tuesday of February, his reason for putting me here at Atsugi and Tsukui was -- as far as I can remember -- because I am still “young” and because I am a non-Japanese priest who can be in a very international parish like Atsugi.  Honestly, I didn’t feel flattered at that time.  I felt more pressured. 
Anyway, I transferred to Atsugi last April 13th... a Friday-the-13th! (hahahah!)  That was the best day I could transfer after those busy weeks of packing my things, of joining the Gloria Boys’ Choir for their Portugal-Spain Concerts, of the usual demands of the Holy Week, and of goodbye’s in Kamakura with some parishioners and benefactors.  

I left Kamakura after the usual 9 am weekday mass, after some last clean-up and farewell.  I arrived at noontime (around 12 nn), put down my things, checked the boxes that were put in by the movers some days before, took lunch with some mothers who made last minute  touches in cleaning the priest’s residence, and later on went to the City Hall and local Police Station to have my address changed on my Alien Registration Card and my Driver’s License, respectively.  People started coming that afternoon for some consultation and scheduling.  The same, too, the day after.  Masses in the parish started that Saturday evening.  That was the start of my journey as Parish Priest.  Together with these little bits of memories was the first Parish Council meeting here in Atsugi the Sunday after my transfer... yes, they started without me!!!  That’s some “good” memory!  Couple it with the flu I had 2 weeks after my transfer... my first time to be sick alone, literally alone!
By the 13th of this month, I shall be marking my first 3 months in this parish.  So far, what have I come to learn and what have I come to be doing?  Here are 10 random things:
1) I have put back the Monday morning mass at 7 am.  I have also introduced the Saturday morning mass at 7, since its liturgy is different from the Anticipated Mass in the evening.  Masses everyday, with a short homily during the weekday masses.

2) I have come to wake up early once again... finally!  Since I am the only priest here, I do not have to depend on other priests for mass in the morning.  So, no matter how late I sleep, I always have to wake up at 5:30 everyday!  Wow!  This is one reason why seminary life had to start early... and it took me about 10 years to finally apply it!


3) This is the first time in my life that I am literally living alone!  I have lots of brothers and sisters.  I entered a minor seminary and took 17 years before I became a priest.  As a Salesian priest, I lived with the community.  As a newly incardinated diocesan priest, I lived with 2 other priests in my first years of ministry in the parish.  And now, I am alone.  I know God has prepared me for this.  That is why I don’t feel lonely nor afraid.

4) I cook my own food.  I do the laundry.  I clean the whole priest’s residence.  Unlike other priests in other churches, I do not allow parishioners to just come in and out to clean, cook, do the laundry.  I reserve the priest’s residence for the ordained only.  I want to show that THERE IS REALLY A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING AN ORDINARY CATHOLIC AND BEING ORDAINED.  I better let some mystery stay in the minds of people -- especially the young -- as to what is inside the priest’s residence... it’s one way to challenge them to become priests, themselves.  
5) I now make a weekly “bulletin” from the Parish Priest to the parishioners, just like those made in the States.  This was originally the mass schedule being printed every week.  But since it looked so bare and it was only printed on one side, I thought that this could be a good chance to make use of the space behind and make a better layout.  I put a little reflection of the gospel that Sunday and even some announcements.  It’s taxing to do this every week.  But since the feedback has been very good, it just needs to be continued... one great way to do evangelization, too!  (Thanks, Apple for those ready layouts in Pages!)  
6) I have come to value more prayer and prayer time!  I am alone.  I have to make time for prayer!  Or else, I find myself being so busy doing a lot of things, or just plainly doing nothing in front of the TV.  So, pray!  Pray!  Pray more!  Yes, truly, handling a parish does not just entail a good amount of common sense and administrative skills.  More so, Prayer is a very important factor.  Here is where I come to feel and realize that, truly, IF A PRIEST DOES NOT PRAY, THE PARISH BECOMES A MERE ORGANIZATION of people who like each other and of people who are indifferent to each other. 
7) Our parish here in Atsugi is “poor”!  We only have a white chasuble, some albs, lots of stoles, though.  But liturgically, we are still lacking!  (Now who among those priests before me got contented with just an alb an a stole for mass?!!!)  We do not have a cope.  We do not have a monstrance stand.  We have St. John the Baptist as the Patron Saint of this parish and there is only a small (well, well done!) statue of the saint.  And our seats... they are all folding chairs... to think that this church started in 1970!  Oh my... so many things to order and purchase for this church to make it look like a church and liturgically function well.  Truly, in liturgy, WE SHOULD NOT SACRIFICE THE MEANING FOR THE PRACTICAL. 
8) My personal schedule is, more or less, fixed but people come and go.  I was in the middle of relaxation and a parishioner dies. I’m in the middle of my cooking and the doorbell rings.  I am in the middle of work and the phone rings.  I am in the middle of making this blog post and someone just came to request masses and confession.  Wow!  This is being a priest!  This just gives me more confirmation that A PRIEST DOES NOT BELONG TO HIMSELF AT ALL.
9) I have come to value the Cassock and my Roman Collar more.  Why should I hide my being a priest?  Or, even if I do not have the intention to hide it, WHY SHOULD I NOT MAKE THE OTHERS HAVE THE CHANCE TO KNOW I AM A PRIEST?
10) I am a priest.  I am a parish priest.  Others congratulate me for it, as if I was just “promoted”.  Oh my.  Now I know that it is not me who makes my priesthood.  And I do not have any right at all to put myself in the pedestal just because I am a priest... just because I am a parish priest.  I’d better be a no-nonsense person here.  I just have to be a priest.  I just have to do what a priest must do.  That’s all.  And that “Bob” has to go backstage.  


Picture: First Communion in Atsugi Catholic Church (June 10, 2012, Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ)

No comments: