Tuesday, March 31, 2015

25 YEARS

I wanted to just make it pass away.  But I can’t. 

25 years ago, on April 1st, 1990, I, made my First Profession as a Salesian of Don Bosco, making our vows of Obedience, Poverty and Chastity in front of the Lord.  We were the first ones to make it in the newly-built novitiate in Granada, Bacolod City (which is now a retreat house).   We were the first ones in Philippine Salesian History to make our vows in our polo barong, because the reception of the cassock would be done a week later.   

OK, I know.  I am technically not a Salesian anymore (… seemingly hearing SOME of them telling that to me now!)… but that day, April 1st… I consider that a very, VERY, V-E-R-Y important day!

People may joke why we had our First Profession on the 1st of April, commonly known as “April Fools”.  Be assured that we never wanted to fool anybody at that time!  

We were able to reach that era that spanned around 20 years in Salesian Philippine history, when April 1st was the day of First Professions, Renewal of Vows and the granting of Obediences (assignments to which Don Bosco institution the Provincial Superior sends you).  They say that years before our time, those who expect to be moved to another Salesian presence packed their things that day, received their Obedience from the Provincial, and immediately board the car that would transport them to their new Salesian apostolate.  No dialogue.  No compromise.  Just go!  Externally, it looked so radical.  It looked so… religious!

April 1st was a good date to start and undergo transitions.  Being newly assigned to a Salesian school or institution, it was a good way to start becoming familiar with the place, the people, the specific apostolate to be done, the subjects to teach, the people involved, the system used.  A good 2-month-summer vacation was a good way to adjust before the new school year starts.  In a way, I saw April 1st as a wise start to be… SALESIAN.  

And even if it is popularly known as “April Fools’ Day”, I would rather remember it as the day of the Canonization of St. John Bosco by Pope Pius XI in 1934.  Ah yes, of course, it was also the day when I made my First Vows!

http://www.fmails.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=369:80°-anniversario-della-canonizzazione-di-don-bosco&catid=8&Itemid=150

25 years. 

There was a time when we were very young Salesians when a tradition was being made among the Salesians in the Philippines — that those who would celebrate their 25 years would be gifted of a Pilgrimage to the Holy Land and Rome.  We used to talk among us, batchmates, what we would be doing once we reached our 25th and do the Pilgrimage.  We even joked the eldest ones in our batch (K, D and M) that we were willing to push the wheelchair for them!  I suppose the Pilgrimage Program has not continued (seeing the Facebook pics and status updates of those ahead of us).  So, goodbye to the wheelchair.  I was graced to have been in Rome for 3 occasions… but I am sure it would have been different had it been done with my very brothers.  But today is today.  And we only hold on to the memory of the past 25 years. 

25 years. 

If I were to look back at what has transpired through the 25 years, and see why I have become like this, why I think like this, why I still hold on to certain dreams and aspirations, and why I may still have regrets, I have a few in mind:

  • I understand that it was Vatican 2.  I understand that it was not anymore the “ancient and the old”.  But I sure wished that they did not decide to forego the Gregorian Chant class for us, novices.  We were the first novices in Philippine Salesian history who did not formally study Gregorian Chant.  We still did chant our Morning and Evening Prayers (especially on Sundays and Feastdays), with the usual melodies and chord patterns.  But if we did study Gregorian Chant, it could have helped us get into the more solemn spirit of prayer, a slower pace of praying the Breviary, and even a good, consistent tone for us who were just 18 or 19 at that time.   Little did we know at that time that by the mid 90’s, Gregorian Chant CDs would spiral up in the charts among the young, even the areligious among them, precisely because these chants put them to a certain calm and sense of mystery.
  • If only we were more serious in our Italian.  OK, I know, this can be very personal for me.  Yes, I do love languages.  But if we were more serious and persistent to study and learn the Italian language, it would given us an edge of AT LEAST understanding the language that shaped the Salesian Congregation and its Spirituality.  After almost 15 years in Japan, I realized that knowing another language does make something in your brain work, plus, of course, a little pat on the shoulder of self-confidence.   

  • This goes also to the attitude that was already starting in the late 80’s of discarding Latin.  I was quite fortunate to have started studying Latin at 12 until I was 18 (2nd year College).  Those were the years when we heard Salesians some years ahead of us as saying, “It’s not needed anymore!”  or “Useless!  Better learn something that you can teach the young!”  Call me nerdy or what, but as the 4th or 5th group to completely study the DI NAPOLI Philosophy books in the English version (translated by some of those ahead of us), I still found the Latin textbook clear and precise.  When some translations left me scratching my head and formed ridges between my eyebrows, I would stand from my desk, go to the back of the study hall, get the DI NAPOLI volume of the subject I was studying, see the questionable paragraph in Latin, and then, it was like a flash of light in front of my eyes!  Latin was not useless after all.  It just made things clearer!  And if only we studied it better, perhaps, I could even be more logical now!  

  • If only we had superiors who really FORMed us.  Don’t get me wrong.  All through the 17 years of formation to the priesthood (inclusive of the last 10 years as a young Salesian), I always praise God for exemplary Superiors, though, admittedly, not all.  There is the ever patient and listening Fr. G. (my high school teacher, principal and, later on, my Confessor in my Theology years), the understanding Fr. D., the holy Fr. A., the wisdom-filled Fr. A., the strict and musically-energized Fr. D., my brother Bro. J., the music of Bro. R., the humble Bro. E., the encouraging Bro. B., the strict brother assistant Bro. A., the guide to a deeper self-esteem and lyrical Bro. M., the friendship and openness of Bro. H., the love for the poor of Fr. M.    And the rest?  To them, I am very, very grateful!!!  BUT… I was just wondering, what the Provincial Council at that time thought in sending to formation houses those who showed us pessimism and grumbling against superiors, laziness in prayer life, mediocrity in religious life observance, tactless humor and plainly degrading machismo?  

  • If only those who were ahead of us showed more good example.  As a young Salesian, we always looked up to those who were ahead of us, especially those 7 or more years senior.  From words, to jokes, to topics and interests, looking back, I realize that Don Bosco did have a very REAL intention when he despised bad talk among the boys of the Salesian Oratory.  If only I was corrected, admonished or even scolded more for my vulgarity at that time.  If only we were taught more good manners rather than just say, “Be yourself.”  If only real brotherhood and trust was deeper than just laughing at the dinner table.  If only there was no fear in me to correct an elder Salesian for the bad talk he does against some superiors even if I knew he could personally get back at me with grades or words.  I will never forget my rector Fr. R: If ever I would be late for meals after assisting the young and he had just finished his meal, he would get a coke from the fridge and sit down with me at the table and give me company.  That was classic!  That made me realize my being Salesian is not just “being me”, but being brothers under the banner of Don Bosco!

  • If only there was more external witnessing through decorum and personal possessions, rather than just blurting out, “The habit does not make a religious!” saying.  As educators, we are supposed to show to the young even the proper way of dressing and becoming.  No wonder our very old Salesians had the best way to show to us how to conduct ourselves in decorum: the cassock, the roman collar!   That was the best attire they had to show how Preventive System could work.  They did not need to look like the other men.  They did not need to look like the young they serve.  They only needed to be and show who they were.  And that was evangelizing enough.  

  • If only there were less and less of gossip and more and more of encouragement…  If only there were less and less of distrust and more and more of faith… If only there were less and less of false masculinity and more and more of propriety… If only there were less and less of weakness and more and more of spirituality….  If only we had less and less of laughter for the mediocre and more and more praise for the faithful....

And now, as I write this, I miss my batch mates.  I wonder where they are now, what they are doing, what are their thoughts, their words, their prayers.  I wonder if they still cherish April 1, 1990, even if, of the 15 who professed that day, only 4 Salesians are left.  I offer to God my sincere prayers for these 4.  And as for the others, let them be reminded that one of them is here in Japan, alone in the parish rectory, remembering them, and saying an Ave Maria for each of them. 

25 years. 

Regrets?  For making my First Vows as a Salesian… NONE!  For continuing on to the priesthood as a Salesian… NONE!  For deciding to come to Japan as a Salesian… for later on deciding to be incardinated into the diocese…  let’s just say, I am ready for another chapter, a new start, a reawakening.  


Oh yes… I was one of those who never really intended to make April 1 just a joke.  

No comments: